Saturday, January 18, 2014

An Open Letter to NASCAR

Dear NASCAR,

First of all, greetings from one of your biggest fans. For the entirety of my 27+ years on this earth, you have been a major part of my life. My parents, both die-hard Bill Elliott fans, instilled the love of stock car racing into me before I was capable of intelligent thought. Growing up, I was "the NASCAR kid," those youngsters who could double as a walking program to the upcoming race. It was a reputation I relished. To me, NASCAR topped everything, which to a kid growing up in Georgia in the early 1990s entailed the Atlanta Braves, Batman, and the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

My love of NASCAR has grown as I have. The last Sprint Cup race I missed altogether - no TV, no radio, no grandstand ticket - was the 2003 Chevy Rock and Roll 400 at Richmond, which I skipped in favor of attending a Braves game with the assumption that the headset radio I had bought would let me listen to the race at the same time (it didn't). Difficult as it was to watch races go by without Tony Stewart - my favorite driver - in the field, I watched every televised lap of the last 15 races of the 2013 season. I did so because, while watching Tony race (and especially win) gives me the greatest joy, I am a proud fan of this sport as a whole and for me there was no option besides continuing to support it by tuning in.

Y'all love to talk about fan loyalty, well I am one of your guys. With very rare exceptions, I only buy and use products who are involved or have been involved in the sport in some capacity. I drive a Chevrolet because Tony drives one. If he drove a Yugo - and let's face it, he probably could and still win a race here or there - I'd be in one too. I am munching on Cheez-Its as I type these words because of their one-time associate sponsorship of Tony (in 2001) and the current deal with Carl Edwards. Tonight's supper will be barbecued Tyson chicken breasts, which to this day I associate with the No. 19 Ford Chad Little drove in 1991 (and, therefore, with NASCAR). Dessert will be a bowl of Cheerios, purchased because of their long-time association with this sport.

I have laid all of this out to illustrate the kind of fan you are potentially driving away if the reports about your planned "elimination-style" point system (particularly the final race "winner take all" aspect) prove true. What a contrived farce that would be, one that would further dilute the title of champion to the point that it would no longer be worthy of being mentioned in the same paragraph as the crowns won by Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt, Jeff Gordon, and so forth.

It is already diluted to the point that you can't put them in the same sentence. Once upon a time, top-level stock car racing championships were about being the best over the course of a grueling season that tested everything a man and his team had. Now they're about hitting a hot streak at the right time. "Champion" means about as much in Chase-era Sprint Cup racing as it does in the equally-contrived Major League Baseball playoffs, with their multiple wild cards and idiotic play-in game after a 162-game, series-based season. It is still huge to win it all, but it doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to.

Yes, your attempts to turn stock car racing into a stick-and-ball sport has created some great moments. The 2011 Ford 400 and the last weeks of that season in general remain chill-inducing for Tony fans. It helped, though, that his first two titles (won under the season-long and Chase, respectively formats) came in years that he scored the most points of any driver over 36 races. Were that his first championship, it would certainly have the same feel of an asterisk next to it that blemishes Kurt Busch's 2004 crown for longtime fans.

You can only manipulate so much before you reach people's breaking point. I have changed and changed and changed again as the format has, owing to my love of the sport. I can't change much more, though. If this is the direction you plan to go, then I doubt I can change any further. I'll continue to watch every race for as long as Tony decides to hang his helmet at Sprint Cup tracks. Once he rides off into the stock car racing sunset, I expect (fearfully so) that I will also, at least as the die-hard fan I have been my whole life to this point.

I nearly swore you off in 1997, when you cost Dale Jarrett the championship with an erroneous black flag at Watkins Glen (and the subsequent but not-at-all unexpected failure to rectify it like you had with the "other" Dale two years before at Rockingham). When Dan Marino waved the green flag for the 1998 Daytona 500, though, I was glued to the screen. I have been for nearly every lap of every single race since.

Sitting here this morning, with the 2014 edition of the Great American Race just over a month away, I find myself wondering how many more laps and how many more races remain in my windshield. Sadly, as things stand and appear to be heading, it is probably far, far, far less than those in my rear-view mirror.

5 comments:

  1. Ok so all I can say is WOW this was so well thought out and written. You not only speak for yourself but also for the rest of us Nascar (Tony fans) which by the way not that you pointed that at I'm sure someone will disagree with you and call you a whining Stewart fan . But with that said you are a Stewart fan and we are as tough as him and can handle it . I want to say thank you for posting this and speaking for how I also am feeling about YET ANOTHER CHANGE to the sport. I have the feelings that the powers to be have never heard the expression IF ITS NOT BROKE DON'T FIX IT.......Give the fans what they want because I do believe that me do hold a lot of stake in weather NASCAR is a bigger success or a larger failure .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thought out and written letter. If anything, you didn't tell it as bad as it will be. If they thought what Michael Waltrip did was bad, this format will make it far worse. The championship has already gone from being the best driver to being a good driver on a hot streak. The new system will make it meaningless and a decent driver that happened to get lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You have proven at 27 + years to be a much wiser man than the current CEO of NASCAR. You have written words of wisdom. While I am much older than you and been a NASCAR fan for over 39 years, I cannot say what I am feeling better than you just did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey kid, thanks for an excellent article. Personally I don't know that I'm that much a NASCAR fan as I am a "stock" car racing fan. I go nutz if I have to miss a race on TV. I'm not rich enough to travel to a track in person. I love the racing, enjoy the behind the racing activities, and could care less what NASCAR does except for phantom cautions. I am sad that you would give up something that you apparently love so much. I wish that you and those of like mindedness would not only watch the races but also participate in this great sport by giving the administrators well thought out letters like you just did suggesting your own recommendations instead of getting red in the face, stomping about, and threatening to do something you don't really want to do. I think that would be a beneficial participation for you, me, and NASCAR and I know I'd appreciate it.
    Again, thanks for an excellent article. David Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is part of the reason I'm a far bigger IndyCar fan these days.

    ReplyDelete